Web Copywriting: What is it?
Web copy writing is to first understand the goals you are going to achieve for your website. What you want to do when the visitor/client/customer first comes to your website? Do you need to capture the database of the visitor – How? – Ask them to sign up for newsletter/ information of product/ free course.
You will try to satisfy a visitor that you have not seen and never met.
Some of the steps for effective web copy writing are listed below:
- Create a visitor profile – You need to find out visitors needs and desires. Some questions that you might ask are – their age, male or female, what’s get them excited. What’s his/her most pressing concern. Make the list of your target audience.
- Create USP – Define in 2-3 sentences why you are different from anybody/everybody else. Let this appear first to the visitor in the home page.
- Focussing on benefits – Stating how the visitor will get benefited from buying the product/subscribing for the newsletter/free course. Your answer/statements should be clear, concise.
- Use the inverted pyramid style – Use informative headings and subheadings with a paragraph of 4 to 5 lines that supports them. You only have a few seconds to grab your visitors attention. Use bulleted or numbered lists, boldface or colored font to emphasize the points you wish to make. Include links at the end of your paragraph (or within the text) to direct visitors to other pages of your site for more in-depth information.
- Write in an informal or personal style – Write in a unique way that differentiates you from other small businesses in a similar business or niche. You simply provide a style that gets the attention of your visitors.